Saturday, February 14, 2009

Conditionals

Zero Conditional (will definitely happen)

If + Present Simple + Present Simple.


If you don't drink water for 6 days, you die.

First Conditional
(is possible)

If + Present Simple + modal verb (will,can,could,may) = is used for REAL POSSIBILITIES

When + Present Simple = FUTURE EVENTS which are CERTAIN

If/Unless + Present Simple (without modal) = FUTURE EVENTS which are UNCERTAIN

As soon as = happens immediately

If you read English outside class, you'll improve more quickly.

Second Conditional (is possible on condition)

If + Past Simple + would

If I could live anywhere, I would live in Australia.

Third Conditional (is not possible)

If + Past Perfect + would have + past participle

If I had've studied art, I would've been an art teacher.

*~*~*~*~

OK, now you have learnt about conditionals, what kind of sentences are these?


If this weather keeps up, we'll get more of it.

I would've if I could've but I couldn't so I didn't.

If you don't eat, you don't shit, and if you don't shit, you die.

These are typical Australian expressions that my grandfather used to say when I was a child. Now, there's a little slice of my culture for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Spanish - English Dictionary